<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Lyndon Hood - Alive Blogger, Lower Hutt

Friday, August 19, 2005

So anyway: egghead that I am, I listened to the Labour and National's opening addresses on the radio. RNZ staff had the consideration not to be on strike at the time.

And it was embarrassing to hear Helen Clark's final spiel on what image of New Zealand she projected to the world - they could have done without that last bit.

On the other hand, if I'm not mistaken Don Brash went 'Aeh' twice in the first sentence. And if he's that concerned about not wasting money, he could probably have saved it on that Jib Jab ripoff they're running the rest of the time (I've said it was like Terry Gilliam, and it is, but it's more like Jib Jab's stuff now I've seen it, and people still seem to need telling that it's hardly like South Park at all).

Anyhow, what I'm thinking is that, in an odd way, with Brash it's a bit like what some felt about John Kerry: sure, lots of people don't like Helen - but can you really imagine them all voting for Don?

Not that I would be voting for National anyway.

My cousin, and it must be said he's not the only one, is projecting a blithe (and as far as I can tell, not hugely supported) confidence that the government will change.

I won't offer a bottle of whiskey in favour of Helen just yet, but I'm calling it for her right this minute.

See what happens on Monday when Brash announces his tax cuts, keep an eye on the usually reliable Centrebet (Hide pays $1001!), and I'll get back to you.


Genuinely New Hood: Politicians attempt the sub-four-minute u-turn