<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Lyndon Hood - mourner, Lower Hutt

Monday, November 07, 2005

Rod Donald

Ditto. And this is really just a longer, more self-indulgent version of Hamish's post.

If it makes any difference, I want to extend my sympathies to Rod's family, friends and colleagues. It's a tragic loss and a sudden one. He will be sorely, and widely, missed.

Right now, Scoop has the reactions of parties and, down the page, other groups and individuals to Rod's passing (Update: Those releases are now here). There are a lot of them. DPF has links to news articles, PC is indexing blog reaction, and info and online condolences are at frogblog.

Based on the radio feedback, it sounds like many supporters of other parties hope for a Rod of their own one day.

There is a plenty of love out there, and a whole lot of respect.

So, Rod Donald is dead. The only MP ever to tell Critic that his favorite films were Battletruck and Rocky Horror.

I spoke to Rod for Scoop before the election. One thing I recall was that he had an uninterruptable way of talking; I realised he was actually taking the breath after starting a new sentence. I got to ask my next question when he was good and finished.

What I've thought about most since is the discussion of electoral issues. I've been in favour of MMP since the start but I'm more of an enthusiast for talking to him.

He cared about, and actively supported, really representative democracy. And human rights (my kind of human rights). What I saw in his political behaviour, as memember of the public, was those principles in practice. Sincerity. Reasonableness - in that, even if you disagreed, he seemed like someone you could talk to. Recognition that everyone else is a person too - when even Marc Alexander speaks of Rod's unfailing (and apparently contagious) respect for the humanity of his opponents, one can't help thinking there's something in it.

Who else, in this new parliament, can we say all that of?

I actually don't know. I hope we'll see.

Always the good ones, eh?

Anyway, I didn't know him. I know I'll miss him.